1. And when Rehoboam was come to Jerusalem, he gathered of the house
of Judah and Benjamin an hundred and fourscore thousand chosen men,
which were warriors, to fight against Israel, that he might bring the
kingdom again to Rehoboam.
2. But the word of the LORD came to Shemaiah the man of God, saying,
3. Speak unto Rehoboam the son of Solomon, king of Judah, and to all
Israel in Judah and Benjamin, saying, 4. Thus saith the LORD, Ye
shall not go up, nor fight against your brethren: return every man to
his house: for this thing is done of me. And they obeyed the words of
the LORD, and returned from going against Jeroboam.
5. And Rehoboam dwelt in Jerusalem, and built cities for defence in
6. He built even Bethlehem, and Etam, and Tekoa, 7. And Bethzur,
and Shoco, and Adullam, 8. And Gath, and Mareshah, and Ziph, 9.