1. And when Rachel saw that she bare Jacob no children, Rachel
envied her sister; and said unto Jacob, Give me children, or else I
2. And Jacob's anger was kindled against Rachel: and he said, Am I
in God's stead, who hath withheld from thee the fruit of the womb?
3. And she said, Behold my maid Bilhah, go in unto her; and she
shall bear upon my knees, that I may also have children by her.
4. And she gave him Bilhah her handmaid to wife: and Jacob went in
5. And Bilhah conceived, and bare Jacob a son.
6. And Rachel said, God hath judged me, and hath also heard my
voice, and hath given me a son: therefore called she his name Dan.
7. And Bilhah Rachel's maid conceived again, and bare Jacob a second
8. And Rachel said, With great wrestlings have I wrestled with my
sister, and I have prevailed: and she called his name Naphtali.
9. When Leah saw that she had left bearing, she took Zilpah her
maid, and gave her Jacob to wife.
10. And Zilpah Leah's maid bare Jacob a son.
11. And Leah said, A troop cometh: and she called his name Gad.
12. And Zilpah Leah's maid bare Jacob a second son.
13. And Leah said, Happy am I, for the daughters will call me
blessed: and she called his name Asher.
14. And Reuben went in the days of wheat harvest, and found
mandrakes in the field, and brought them unto his mother Leah. Then
Rachel said to Leah, Give me, I pray thee, of thy son's mandrakes.
15. And she said unto her, Is it a small matter that thou hast taken
my husband? and wouldest thou take away my son's mandrakes also? And
Rachel said, Therefore he shall lie with thee to night for thy son's
16. And Jacob came out of the field in the evening, and Leah went
out to meet him, and said, Thou must come in unto me; for surely I
have hired thee with my son's mandrakes. And he lay with her that
17. And God hearkened unto Leah, and she conceived, and bare Jacob
the fifth son.
18. And Leah said, God hath given me my hire, because I have given
my maiden to my husband: and she called his name Issachar.
19. And Leah conceived again, and bare Jacob the sixth son.
20. And Leah said, God hath endued me with a good dowry; now will my
husband dwell with me, because I have born him six sons: and she
called his name Zebulun.
21. And afterwards she bare a daughter, and called her name Dinah.
22. And God remembered Rachel, and God hearkened to her, and opened
23. And she conceived, and bare a son; and said, God hath taken away
my reproach: 24. And she called his name Joseph; and said, The LORD
shall add to me another son.
25. And it came to pass, when Rachel had born Joseph, that Jacob
said unto Laban, Send me away, that I may go unto mine own place, and
to my country.
26. Give me my wives and my children, for whom I have served thee,
and let me go: for thou knowest my service which I have done thee.
27. And Laban said unto him, I pray thee, if I have found favour in
thine eyes, tarry: for I have learned by experience that the LORD hath
blessed me for thy sake.
28. And he said, Appoint me thy wages, and I will give it.
29. And he said unto him, Thou knowest how I have served thee, and
how thy cattle was with me.
30. For it was little which thou hadst before I came, and it is now
increased unto a multitude; and the LORD hath blessed thee since my
coming: and now when shall I provide for mine own house also? 31.