1. And it came to pass at that time, that Judah went down from his
brethren, and turned in to a certain Adullamite, whose name was Hirah.
2. And Judah saw there a daughter of a certain Canaanite, whose name
was Shuah; and he took her, and went in unto her.
3. And she conceived, and bare a son; and he called his name Er.
4. And she conceived again, and bare a son; and she called his name
5. And she yet again conceived, and bare a son; and called his name
Shelah: and he was at Chezib, when she bare him.
6. And Judah took a wife for Er his firstborn, whose name was Tamar.
7. And Er, Judah's firstborn, was wicked in the sight of the LORD;
and the LORD slew him.
8. And Judah said unto Onan, Go in unto thy brother's wife, and
marry her, and raise up seed to thy brother.
9. And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to
pass, when he went in unto his brother's wife, that he spilled it on
the ground, lest that he should give seed to his brother.
10. And the thing which he did displeased the LORD: wherefore he
slew him also.
11. Then said Judah to Tamar his daughter in law, Remain a widow at
thy father's house, till Shelah my son be grown: for he said, Lest
peradventure he die also, as his brethren did. And Tamar went and
dwelt in her father's house.
12. And in process of time the daughter of Shuah Judah's wife died;
and Judah was comforted, and went up unto his sheepshearers to
Timnath, he and his friend Hirah the Adullamite.
13. And it was told Tamar, saying, Behold thy father in law goeth up
to Timnath to shear his sheep.
14. And she put her widow's garments off from her, and covered her
with a vail, and wrapped herself, and sat in an open place, which is
by the way to Timnath; for she saw that Shelah was grown, and she was
not given unto him to wife.
15. When Judah saw her, he thought her to be an harlot; because she
had covered her face.
16. And he turned unto her by the way, and said, Go to, I pray thee,
let me come in unto thee; (for he knew not that she was his daughter
in law.) And she said, What wilt thou give me, that thou mayest come
in unto me? 17. And he said, I will send thee a kid from the flock.
And she said, Wilt thou give me a pledge, till thou send it? 18.