1. A GOOD name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving
favour rather than silver and gold.
2. The rich and poor meet together: the LORD is the maker of them
3. A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the
simple pass on, and are punished.
4. By humility and the fear of the LORD are riches, and honour, and
5. Thorns and snares are in the way of the froward: he that doth
keep his soul shall be far from them.
6. Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he
will not depart from it.
7. The rich ruleth over the poor, and the borrower is servant to the
8. He that soweth iniquity shall reap vanity: and the rod of his
anger shall fail.
9. He that hath a bountiful eye shall be blessed; for he giveth of
his bread to the poor.
10. Cast out the scorner, and contention shall go out; yea, strife
and reproach shall cease.
11. He that loveth pureness of heart, for the grace of his lips the
king shall be his friend.
12. The eyes of the LORD preserve knowledge, and he overthroweth the
words of the transgressor.
13. The slothful man saith, There is a lion without, I shall be
slain in the streets.
14. The mouth of strange women is a deep pit: he that is abhorred of
the LORD shall fall therein.
15. Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of
correction shall drive it far from him.
16. He that oppresseth the poor to increase his riches, and he that
giveth to the rich, shall surely come to want.
17. Bow down thine ear, and hear the words of the wise, and apply
thine heart unto my knowledge.
18. For it is a pleasant thing if thou keep them within thee; they
shall withal be fitted in thy lips.
19. That thy trust may be in the LORD, I have made known to thee
this day, even to thee.
20. Have not I written to thee excellent things in counsels and
knowledge, 21. That I might make thee know the certainty of the
words of truth; that thou mightest answer the words of truth to them
that send unto thee? 22. Rob not the poor, because he is poor:
neither oppress the afflicted in the gate: 23. For the LORD will
plead their cause, and spoil the soul of those that spoiled them.
24. Make no friendship with an angry man; and with a furious man
thou shalt not go: 25. Lest thou learn his ways, and get a snare to
26. Be not thou one of them that strike hands, or of them that are
sureties for debts.
27. If thou hast nothing to pay, why should he take away thy bed
from under thee? 28. Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy
fathers have set.
29. Seest thou a man diligent in his business? he shall stand before
kings; he shall not stand before mean men.