1. When thou sittest to eat with a ruler, consider diligently what
is before thee: 2. And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man
given to appetite.
3. Be not desirous of his dainties: for they are deceitful meat.
4. Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom.
5. Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches
certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward
6. Eat thou not the bread of him that hath an evil eye, neither
desire thou his dainty meats: 7. For as he thinketh in his heart, so
is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with
8. The morsel which thou hast eaten shalt thou vomit up, and lose
thy sweet words.
9. Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom
of thy words.
10. Remove not the old landmark; and enter not into the fields of
the fatherless: 11. For their redeemer is mighty; he shall plead
their cause with thee.
12. Apply thine heart unto instruction, and thine ears to the words
13. Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him
with the rod, he shall not die.
14. Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul
15. My son, if thine heart be wise, my heart shall rejoice, even
16. Yea, my reins shall rejoice, when thy lips speak right things.
17. Let not thine heart envy sinners: but be thou in the fear of the
LORD all the day long.
18. For surely there is an end; and thine expectation shall not be
19. Hear thou, my son, and be wise, and guide thine heart in the
20. Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: 21.