1. Woe unto them that decree unrighteous decrees, and that write
grievousness which they have prescribed; 2. To turn aside the needy
from judgment, and to take away the right from the poor of my people,
that widows may be their prey, and that they may rob the fatherless!
3. And what will ye do in the day of visitation, and in the
desolation which shall come from far? to whom will ye flee for help?
and where will ye leave your glory? 4. Without me they shall bow
down under the prisoners, and they shall fall under the slain. For all
this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out
5. O Assyrian, the rod of mine anger, and the staff in their hand is
6. I will send him against an hypocritical nation, and against the
people of my wrath will I give him a charge, to take the spoil, and to
take the prey, and to tread them down like the mire of the streets.
7. Howbeit he meaneth not so, neither doth his heart think so; but
it is in his heart to destroy and cut off nations not a few.
8. For he saith, Are not my princes altogether kings? 9. Is not
Calno as Carchemish? is not Hamath as Arpad? is not Samaria as
Damascus? 10. As my hand hath found the kingdoms of the idols, and
whose graven images did excel them of Jerusalem and of Samaria; 11.