1. Woe to the crown of pride, to the drunkards of Ephraim, whose
glorious beauty is a fading flower, which are on the head of the fat
valleys of them that are overcome with wine! 2. Behold, the Lord
hath a mighty and strong one, which as a tempest of hail and a
destroying storm, as a flood of mighty waters overflowing, shall cast
down to the earth with the hand.
3. The crown of pride, the drunkards of Ephraim, shall be trodden
under feet: 4. And the glorious beauty, which is on the head of the
fat valley, shall be a fading flower, and as the hasty fruit before
the summer; which when he that looketh upon it seeth, while it is yet
in his hand he eateth it up.
5. In that day shall the LORD of hosts be for a crown of glory, and
for a diadem of beauty, unto the residue of his people, 6. And for a
spirit of judgment to him that sitteth in judgment, and for strength
to them that turn the battle to the gate.
7. But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink
are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through
strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way
through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.
8. For all tables are full of vomit and filthiness, so that there is
no place clean.
9. Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to
understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn
from the breasts.
10. For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line
upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little: 11.