1. And he began to speak unto them by parables. A certain man
planted a vineyard, and set an hedge about it, and digged a place for
the winefat, and built a tower, and let it out to husbandmen, and went
into a far country.
2. And at the season he sent to the husbandmen a servant, that he
might receive from the husbandmen of the fruit of the vineyard.
3. And they caught him, and beat him, and sent him away empty.
4. And again he sent unto them another servant; and at him they cast
stones, and wounded him in the head, and sent him away shamefully
5. And again he sent another; and him they killed, and many others;
beating some, and killing some.
6. Having yet therefore one son, his wellbeloved, he sent him also
last unto them, saying, They will reverence my son.
7. But those husbandmen said among themselves, This is the heir;
come, let us kill him, and the inheritance shall be our's.
8. And they took him, and killed him, and cast him out of the
9. What shall therefore the lord of the vineyard do? he will come
and destroy the husbandmen, and will give the vineyard unto others.
10. And have ye not read this scripture; The stone which the
builders rejected is become the head of the corner: 11. This was the
Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes? 12. And they sought
to lay hold on him, but feared the people: for they knew that he had
spoken the parable against them: and they left him, and went their
13. And they send unto him certain of the Pharisees and of the
Herodians, to catch him in his words.
14. And when they were come, they say unto him, Master, we know that
thou art true, and carest for no man: for thou regardest not the
person of men, but teachest the way of God in truth: Is it lawful to
give tribute to Caesar, or not? 15. Shall we give, or shall we not
give? But he, knowing their hypocrisy, said unto them, Why tempt ye
me? bring me a penny, that I may see it.
16. And they brought it. And he saith unto them, Whose is this image
and superscription? And they said unto him, Caesar's.
17. And Jesus answering said unto them, Render to Caesar the things
that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's. And they
marvelled at him.
18. Then come unto him the Sadducees, which say there is no
resurrection; and they asked him, saying, 19. Master, Moses wrote
unto us, If a man's brother die, and leave his wife behind him, and
leave no children, that his brother should take his wife, and raise up
seed unto his brother.
20. Now there were seven brethren: and the first took a wife, and
dying left no seed.
21. And the second took her, and died, neither left he any seed: and
the third likewise.
22. And the seven had her, and left no seed: last of all the woman
23. In the resurrection therefore, when they shall rise, whose wife
shall she be of them? for the seven had her to wife.
24. And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err,
because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God? 25.