1. And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree
from Caesar Augustus that all the world should be taxed.
2. (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of
Syria.) 3. And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.
4. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth,
into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem;
(because he was of the house and lineage of David:) 5. To be taxed
with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.
6. And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were
accomplished that she should be delivered.
7. And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in
swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room
for them in the inn.
8. And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field,
keeping watch over their flock by night.
9. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of
the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
10. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you
good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
11. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour,
which is Christ the Lord.
12. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped
in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
13. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly
host praising God, and saying, 14. Glory to God in the highest, and
on earth peace, good will toward men.
15. And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into
heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto
Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord
hath made known unto us.
16. And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the
babe lying in a manger.
17. And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying
which was told them concerning this child.
18. And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were
told them by the shepherds.
19. But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart.
20. And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all
the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them.
21. And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the
child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel
before he was conceived in the womb.
22. And when the days of her purification according to the law of
Moses were accomplished, they brought him to Jerusalem, to present him
to the Lord; 23. (As it is written in the law of the LORD, Every male
that openeth the womb shall be called holy to the Lord;) 24. And to
offer a sacrifice according to that which is said in the law of the
Lord, A pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons.
25. And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon;
and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of
Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him.
26. And it was revealed unto him by the Holy Ghost, that he should
not see death, before he had seen the Lord's Christ.
27. And he came by the Spirit into the temple: and when the parents
brought in the child Jesus, to do for him after the custom of the law,
28. Then took he him up in his arms, and blessed God, and said, 29.