1. Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius
Pilate being governor of Judaea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee,
and his brother Philip tetrarch of Ituraea and of the region of
Trachonitis, and Lysanias the tetrarch of Abilene, 2. Annas and
Caiaphas being the high priests, the word of God came unto John the
son of Zacharias in the wilderness.
3. And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the
baptism of repentance for the remission of sins; 4. As it is written
in the book of the words of Esaias the prophet, saying, The voice of
one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his
5. Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be
brought low; and the crooked shall be made straight, and the rough
ways shall be made smooth; 6. And all flesh shall see the salvation
7. Then said he to the multitude that came forth to be baptized of
him, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the
wrath to come? 8. Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance,
and begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father:
for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up
children unto Abraham.
9. And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: every
tree therefore which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and
cast into the fire.
10. And the people asked him, saying, What shall we do then? 11. He
answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart
to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.
12. Then came also publicans to be baptized, and said unto him,
Master, what shall we do? 13. And he said unto them, Exact no more
than that which is appointed you.
14. And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall
we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse
any falsely; and be content with your wages.
15. And as the people were in expectation, and all men mused in their
hearts of John, whether he were the Christ, or not; 16. John
answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but
one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy
to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:
17. Whose fan is in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor,
and will gather the wheat into his garner; but the chaff he will burn
with fire unquenchable.
18. And many other things in his exhortation preached he unto the
19. But Herod the tetrarch, being reproved by him for Herodias his
brother Philip's wife, and for all the evils which Herod had done,
20. Added yet this above all, that he shut up John in prison.
21. Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that
Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened, 22.