1. Then said the high priest, Are these things so? 2. And he said,
Men, brethren, and fathers, hearken; The God of glory appeared unto
our father Abraham, when he was in Mesopotamia, before he dwelt in
Charran, 3. And said unto him, Get thee out of thy country, and from
thy kindred, and come into the land which I shall shew thee.
4. Then came he out of the land of the Chaldaeans, and dwelt in
Charran: and from thence, when his father was dead, he removed him
into this land, wherein ye now dwell.
5. And he gave him none inheritance in it, no, not so much as to set
his foot on: yet he promised that he would give it to him for a
possession, and to his seed after him, when as yet he had no child.
6. And God spake on this wise, That his seed should sojourn in a
strange land; and that they should bring them into bondage, and
entreat them evil four hundred years.
7. And the nation to whom they shall be in bondage will I judge, said
God: and after that shall they come forth, and serve me in this place.
8. And he gave him the covenant of circumcision: and so Abraham begat
Isaac, and circumcised him the eighth day; and Isaac begat Jacob; and
Jacob begat the twelve patriarchs.
9. And the patriarchs, moved with envy, sold Joseph into Egypt: but
God was with him, 10. And delivered him out of all his afflictions,
and gave him favour and wisdom in the sight of Pharaoh king of Egypt;
and he made him governor over Egypt and all his house.
11. Now there came a dearth over all the land of Egypt and Chanaan,
and great affliction: and our fathers found no sustenance.
12. But when Jacob heard that there was corn in Egypt, he sent out
our fathers first.
13. And at the second time Joseph was made known to his brethren; and
Joseph's kindred was made known unto Pharaoh.
14. Then sent Joseph, and called his father Jacob to him, and all his
kindred, threescore and fifteen souls.
15. So Jacob went down into Egypt, and died, he, and our fathers,
16. And were carried over into Sychem, and laid in the sepulchre that
Abraham bought for a sum of money of the sons of Emmor the father of
17. But when the time of the promise drew nigh, which God had sworn
to Abraham, the people grew and multiplied in Egypt, 18. Till another
king arose, which knew not Joseph.
19. The same dealt subtilly with our kindred, and evil entreated our
fathers, so that they cast out their young children, to the end they
might not live.
20. In which time Moses was born, and was exceeding fair, and
nourished up in his father's house three months: 21. And when he was
cast out, Pharaoh's daughter took him up, and nourished him for her
22. And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and was
mighty in words and in deeds.
23. And when he was full forty years old, it came into his heart to
visit his brethren the children of Israel.
24. And seeing one of them suffer wrong, he defended him, and avenged
him that was oppressed, and smote the Egyptian: 25. For he supposed
his brethren would have understood how that God by his hand would
deliver them: but they understood not.
26. And the next day he shewed himself unto them as they strove, and
would have set them at one again, saying, Sirs, ye are brethren; why
do ye wrong one to another? 27. But he that did his neighbour wrong
thrust him away, saying, Who made thee a ruler and a judge over us?
28. Wilt thou kill me, as thou diddest the Egyptian yesterday? 29.