1. Then we turned, and took our journey into the wilderness by the
way of the Red sea, as the LORD spake unto me: and we compassed mount
Seir many days.
2. And the LORD spake unto me, saying, 3. Ye have compassed this
mountain long enough: turn you northward.
4. And command thou the people, saying, Ye are to pass through the
coast of your brethren the children of Esau, which dwell in Seir; and
they shall be afraid of you: take ye good heed unto yourselves
therefore: 5. Meddle not with them; for I will not give you of their
land, no, not so much as a foot breadth; because I have given mount
Seir unto Esau for a possession.
6. Ye shall buy meat of them for money, that ye may eat; and ye shall
also buy water of them for money, that ye may drink.
7. For the LORD thy God hath blessed thee in all the works of thy
hand: he knoweth thy walking through this great wilderness: these
forty years the LORD thy God hath been with thee; thou hast lacked
8. And when we passed by from our brethren the children of Esau,
which dwelt in Seir, through the way of the plain from Elath, and from
Eziongaber, we turned and passed by the way of the wilderness of Moab.
9. And the LORD said unto me, Distress not the Moabites, neither
contend with them in battle: for I will not give thee of their land
for a possession; because I have given Ar unto the children of Lot for
10. The Emims dwelt therein in times past, a people great, and many,
and tall, as the Anakims; 11. Which also were accounted giants, as
the Anakims; but the Moabites called them Emims.
12. The Horims also dwelt in Seir beforetime; but the children of
Esau succeeded them, when they had destroyed them from before them,
and dwelt in their stead; as Israel did unto the land of his
possession, which the LORD gave unto them.
13. Now rise up, said I, and get you over the brook Zered. And we
went over the brook Zered.
14. And the space in which we came from Kadeshbarnea, until we were
come over the brook Zered, was thirty and eight years; until all the
generation of the men of war were wasted out from among the host, as
the LORD sware unto them.
15. For indeed the hand of the LORD was against them, to destroy them
from among the host, until they were consumed.
16. So it came to pass, when all the men of war were consumed and
dead from among the people, 17. That the LORD spake unto me, saying,
18. Thou art to pass over through Ar, the coast of Moab, this day:
19. And when thou comest nigh over against the children of Ammon,
distress them not, nor meddle with them: for I will not give thee of
the land of the children of Ammon any possession; because I have given
it unto the children of Lot for a possession.
20. (That also was accounted a land of giants: giants dwelt therein
in old time; and the Ammonites call them Zamzummims; 21. A people
great, and many, and tall, as the Anakims; but the LORD destroyed them
before them; and they succeeded them, and dwelt in their stead: 22.